The Thickest Gluten Free Cookies Ever!
On Monday night, between cleaning and unpacking, I had a request for some chocolate chip cookies (per usual). Little did I know that these would quite possibly be the thickest cookies I’ve ever made. Sam is a chocolate chip cookie lover at heart, and I, likewise can’t argue with that! So, I turned on the mixer and added in just about every ingredient I could find in the pantry. (literally…) The outcome: thick, chewy, chunky, chocolate-y, coconut-y, oatmeal-y, yyy cookies. 🙂 (Also thanks to these dark chocolate baking chunks from Whole Foods!)
For some reason I always find myself making cookies at night, as if it’s my subconscious way to unwind. The sweet aroma smells throughout the house, and the best feeling is when I get to sit down with a glass of milk, warm cookie, and a book in hand. (ALL about that relaxation before bed). I also love seeing Sam’s face after I make a new batch. Although he’s not the most critical taste tester (he loves everything I make, it’s so sweet) his reactions are priceless. Most of the time, if they’re really good he’ll reply with “oh those are dangerous” – it kills me every time.
On another note, I always find gluten free cookies to be more of a “cakey” or softer texture- which isn’t always a bad thing, but sometimes you just want the classic chewy texture (right?!) That’s exactly how this batch turned out, and I can honestly say I was stunned. I’ve followed so many gluten free cookie recipes with almond flour, coconut flour, etc. but have never really found the perfect texture.. UNTIL THESE. The ingredients are simple, healthy, and wholesome- but not lacking any sweetness or decadence. I made another batch immediately the next day just so we can store them in the freezer for a quick sweet treat.
One more thing- this batch is made all in one bowl! No need to grab a second bowl for the dry ingredients. Because of the thickness with these cookies, I combine the wet ingredients first, then add the dry one at a time, making sure everything is incorporated evenly. You may want to get your hands a little dirty with these to form the dough, the cookie scoop just won’t handle the thickness as well! Plus I’m a big believer in working with your hands in the kitchen- it just does the trick every time. Find the full recipe below and enjoy… (with a glass of milk preferably).
Gluten Free Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes unsweetened
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks plus more for topping
- pinch of sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a stand mixer (or bowl), beat the almond butter and coconut sugar.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients starting with the almond flour, baking soda, oats, and coconut. (The batter will get very thick!) Mix until everything is combined.
- Turn the mixer off and fold in the chocolate chunks with a spatula.
- Using a spoon, scoop out about 2 tbsp of the dough and form in to a cookie with your hands (I found this was easier than using a cookie scoop).
- Flatten slightly and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then take out of the oven and smack the baking sheet against the counter once or twice to slightly flatten the cookies. (Sounds silly but works!)
- Return to the oven and bake for 2 minutes more.
- Let cool slightly, then enjoy!