Some Crockpot Tacos + My One Favorite Topping
When are we not celebrating a time with good food? It’s the week before the Super Bowl and my mind is racing with a million delicious bites to make! Since this week we’re moving in to our new home (first time homeowners!) that means we’re having a little Super Bowl/ house warming party in one. Its’ going to be one chaotic week but I am so, so ready for it.
I’m sharing these simple crockpot tacos I made last week for an easy Super Bowl or weeknight meal. They’re easy, saucy, and versatile- I even used the leftovers for nachos the next day. YUM. Since this recipe is pretty simple, there’s really no way to go wrong here. I was playing around with the ingredients and threw in a couple tablespoons of salsa verde and tomato paste to really give some flavor to the meat. I have a major thing for sauce, so if I can even make my taco meat saucy, you know it’s going to be good.
What are some of your favorite toppings to use? Whenever it was a taco night in my house growing up you could almost always find a bowl of sliced black olives. Of course the other usual suspects were there… limes, onion, tomatoes, salsa, cheese, etc… but if there was one ingredient that was not to be missed, it was olives. You may be thinking that this is crazy nonsense, or you completely agree. Whatever you do, don’t knock it till you try it!
Another staple both my husband and I have grown to love: Siete tortillas. All their tortillas are grain free, gluten free, soy free, dairy free, non GMO, vegan.. and most importantly so flavorful and soft. The go to: cassava or almond flour. It completely elevates the meal especially when adding your other favorite toppings.
Since we already devoured these last week, I think it’s time to whip up another batch today yeah!? Also can we use the word “batch” for taco meat or is that just for baking? Find the full recipe below, I hope you enjoy!
Crockpot Turkey Tacos
- 1 lb ground turkey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne depending on your spice level
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup warm water or broth
- 2 tbsp salsa verde or regular salsa
- Favorite Toppings (green onion, black olives, tomatoes, cheese, salsa, etc.)
- Heat a medium skillet or medium-high heat and add the ground turkey.
- Cook until browned (about 10 minutes). Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add in the chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, and cayenne. Stir until all the spices are combined.
- Add the turkey mixture in to the bowl of the crockpot as well as the tomato paste, warm water, and salsa verde.
- Stir until all of the tomato paste is dissolved, adding more warm water or tomato paste if necessary.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with tortillas and your favorite toppings.