Seeking Our Inner Green Thumb.. (What’s Your Best Gardening Tip?)
Healthy soil, good sunlight, raised bed or potting.. I feel like gardening can be slightly intimidating for a newbie like myself. Of course when I was a little girl I would fill the watering pot to the brim and help my mother water her Spring flowers and Summer vegetables (drenching them I might add). But as an adult, I took one step in to the nursery and felt considerably overwhelmed. Googling didn’t help much either. So, we went ahead and honed in on our gardening project a few weeks ago, starting with the most basic things we know: soil and a garden bed. I guess you could say some learning by doing is in store for us.
With our small backyard, we decided to build raised garden beds. We snagged a few supplies from our local Home Depot, grabbed our gloves and went to work. Sam bolted the boards and we’re currently in the process of adding a lip to the top (here’s a similar photo). Also see this article for tons of useful information on growing an organic raised garden bed, I’m keeping it nearby.
Lastly, I’m a sucker for stylish tools, I mean, it’s practically the whole reason I wanted to start gardening (shh, don’t tell Sam). So I had to highlight these gardening gloves, and the tools set I snagged at Target. They’re actually efficient too, not just for looks!
Here’s a few key gardening tips I’ve learned so far (mind you, I am very new):
- Don’t start too early (another one of those learning by doing, whoops)
- Make sure plants are in a spot to receive the sunlight they need
- Start with rich, healthy soil
- Separate herbs from vegetables
- Research which plants will and won’t survive in the area you live in (we’re going with herbs and basic vegetables)
Some others that I’ve been told (but have yet to try)
- Add in aged compost to the soil
- Water in the mornings or evenings
- Prevent any tomatoes from getting too hot or too cold
With that being said, what are some of your best gardening tips? Do you have a foolproof secret? Share in the comments below or on Instagram @everydayfroma! Thanks for reading.