Putting Pantry Pasta to the Test: Asparagus and Parmesan Shells
Today, I wanted to share a recipe that uses both pantry staples and fresh ingredients in one simple pot. Since most of us are in the confines of our home, we’re all looking for any recipe we can make for the next few weeks. Ones that will also keep our supply in check. So of course, pasta is first on that list for us.
Pasta is the most versatile, comfort, healthy dish I could think of that will last days in the fridge with simple pantry ingredients. This one reminds me of a rendition my mom used to make for us that we would pop in the microwave with spray butter (yes, spray butter), and loads of parmesan. It was the most simple, satisfying meal, so I decided to make a version for us.
If you don’t have some of the ingredients in your fridge at this moment, make easy swaps to adapt with what you do have. Like I said, it’s so versatile! My main goal this week, is to inspire at least one person to make a meal that’s new (whether it’s this recipe or something similar). Because all of our fridges don’t look the same right now, we’re having to work with what we have, which in this case isn’t a whole lot.
Something else we’re trying to focus not only these next few weeks (but the whole start of 2020) is more plant-based/ meatless meals. This way we can stretch out the meat we have in the freezer to last longer if the time comes that we need it. Not to mention save some money on grocery hauls.
Here are some meatless meals we have on the menu right now:
- Creamy Mushroom Cauliflower Gnocchi (uses Trader Joe’s frozen gnocchi)
- Black Bean Burgers
- Healthy One Pan Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Coconut Sweet Potato Lentil Soup with Rice
- Veggie Fajita Bowls
I hope you enjoy this simple delicious pasta- or enjoy it as inspiration to cook up your own nourishing dish this week. Scroll on to find the full recipe, and stay well!
Asparagus and Parmesan Shells
- 1 8 oz package pasta shells
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch of asparagus cut in 2 inch pieces
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme stems removed
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- Follow the directions on the box and cook pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the asparagus and cook until slightly softened (about 3 minutes).
- Add the shallots, garlic, and thyme. Cook for 1-2 minutes more, until fragrant.
- Pour in the broth, lemon, and white wine vinegar. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until slightly reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pasta shells and parmesan in to the pan with the sauce. Stir in the reserved pasta water, starting with about 1 tbsp at a time until the cheese is melted and fully incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide in to bowls and serve with an extra sprinkle of parmesan and a splash of white wine vinegar. Enjoy!