Pesto Avocado Toast with Tomato Herb Confit
Since we’re try-hard gardeners these days (joking), I’ve had an abundance of herbs I’ve been trying to use up this Summer. My mint plant is completely overflowing (any ideas?!) and each time I pluck the basil or thyme, they shoot back with more. I absolutely love it. I feel so sophisticated walking to the backyard and plucking sprigs of thyme, cilantro, or basil for dinner. Especially the basil, which I’ve been using over and over in this pesto avocado toast with tomato herb confit. Basically an extremely elevated avo toast, layered on with burst garlicky, lemon tomatoes. There’s a faint taste of fresh herbs in every bite, and the pesto adds a cinch of flavor underneath that is almost addicting. I’ve been craving these every day for an easy lunch, or quick dinner with this heat lately. You’ll definitely want to add this one to the list!
What’s your favorite way to use up Summer herbs?
I love using basil for a simple caprese salad, making my own pesto, or opting for sweet with strawberry basil ice cream. I’ve had to get creative with mint these days (since it’s literally taking up the whole garden bed). We served pink vodka watermelon lemonades on the 4th, and I’ve been throwing in a few leaves with a Spindrift over ice. As a kid, my mom would slice tomato, layer on basil and mozzarella and broil it in the oven. I would douse it in balsamic vinegar and eat- only that- for lunch. The excitement was real when I knew it was basil season (and peach). Thinking back, I probably made myself sick a few too many times..
This has been a go-to lunch for us lately because the tomatoes serve as nice leftovers, and all you need is a few simple ingredients to pull it together. I love making my own pesto, but having a shortcut store bought one is nice when I know I’ll be making these toasts on repeat. A couple I’m recently loving:
–Delallo Simply Pesto (the best in my opinion)
–Trader Joe’s Kale Cashew and Basil Pesto (a really good vegan option)
Or try a homemade version, like this versatile one from Love and Lemons. Pesto is definitely a staple in our house!
Be sure to not skip the tomato herb confit, it’s combination with the pesto is truly magical. I hope you love as much as we do- and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @everydayfroma with a picture of your own #avotoast! Scroll on to find the full recipe..
Pesto Avocado Toast With Tomato Herb Confit
For the Tomato Herb Confit
- 1 (16 oz) pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil good quality
- 6 garlic cloves smashed
- 4 basil leaves julienned
- 4-6 thyme sprigs
- salt and pepper to taste
- zest of 1/2 lemon
For the Toasts
- 2 large slices fresh sourdough toasted
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1 whole avocado sliced
- 8-10 cucumber slices
- 6-8 whole basil leaves
- 1/2 cup tomato herb confit
- lemon juice
- balsamic reduction
- hemp seeds, chia seeds
- more herbs
For the Tomato Herb Confit
- In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatoes, evoo, garlic, herbs, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and cook until the tomatoes start to pop and the oil is very hot (about 2 minutes).
- Reduce to heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked down, remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest. Set aside.
Assemble the Toasts
- Spread 2 tablespoons of pesto on each piece of toasted sourdough.
- Layer on 1/2 of the avocado to each toast, and smash lightly with a fork.
- Add 4 slices of cucumber to each toast, 3-4 basil leaves, and about 1/4 cup of the tomato herb confit.
- Season again with salt and pepper, and finish with a squeeze of lemon or any other desired toppings (balsamic, hemp seeds, more herbs, etc.)