Mustard Glazed Carrots With Toasted Nuts- A Perfect Holiday Side
Lately I’ve been elbow-deep in sugar, butter and flour with all the Christmas baking happening around here. I thought it was the best time to share a healthy side dish (or appetizer) for your holiday menu.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy carrots are roasted and glazed. The carrots take on a smoky, charred flavor from roasting in the oven, and the glaze off-sets that with a subtle hint of sweetness. These mustard glazed carrots are not only healthier but add so much color to the holiday table.
To make the glaze a bit more savory, I heat spicy dijon mustard with maple syrup, reducing it down in to a sticky liquid that coats the veggies perfectly. The toasted nuts, well those are just necessary to adding even more flavor and crunch to the dish. I absolutely love that this recipe is not overly sweet, with the mustard adding such a deep flavor and the salt popping through from roasting, it is truly the perfect balance.
Add this dish to your holiday menu for a healthy side, or cut in to bite size pieces to serve hors d’oeuvre syle.
Mustard Glazed Carrots With Toasted Nuts
- 8-10 medium carrots
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel all of the carrots and place on baking sheet.
- Drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil, and season with salt.
- Toss the carrots around with your hands to coat everything in the olive oil and salt.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium heat and add the chopped nuts.
- Toast, tossing around frequently, until nuts are fragrant and slightly brown. (About 5 minutes)
- Place the nuts on a plate to cool.
- With about 5 minutes left on the carrots, heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat and add the maple syrup and mustard.
- Whisk until the mustard is completely mixed in and starting to bubble. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer until thickened (5-10 minutes), whisking frequently.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and let cool slightly, then place on a serving tray or bowl.
- To finish, drizzle the mustard-maple glaze over the carrots and sprinkle on the nuts. Serve warm.