Chicken Noodle Soup With Cheesy-Herbed Crackers
I have many inspirations when it comes to food bloggers, cooking shows, cookbooks, etc… But what intrigues me the most with recipe developers is the amount of creativity that each person can hold. I love looking to different cooks for unique dinner ideas, different bakers for the best chocolate chip cookie, or an all around chef who does it all.
My cooking has really evolved over the past year and I feel as if I’ve come in to my own class while in the kitchen due to the inspiration of others. I really force myself to think of innovative ways to elevate a recipe that I know will suit my husband and I’s taste in food. As far as the photography aspect, that’s a whole other level of creativity I’m working on…
My husband and I also love being in the kitchen together. The best part of us cooking together is that we never follow a recipe when we’re there. Creativity and tasting as we go is our forte (hello cheesy crackers). It isn’t until he over-seasons that meat that we might… have a problem.
This chicken noodle soup stemmed from a roast chicken that we made on a Sunday night and had so much leftover I decided to turn it around to a new meal. The cheesy-herbed crackers act as a nice little sidekick and were my way of adding a different side that wasn’t just toasted bread. The bite from the cheese adds so much flavor by itself or melting in to the soup. This recipe is a keeper for those cold winter nights, where all you have is a few veggies, cheese, and leftover chicken.
Chicken Noodle Soup With Cheesy Herbed Crackers
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 4 medium celery stalks chopped
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4-1 lb cooked shredded chicken
- 9 oz egg noodles (I used Trader Joe's)
Cheesy Herbed Crackers
- 15-20 sea salt crackers (I used Simple Mills)
- 3 tbsp pecorino romano or parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- olive oil spray
- Combine the onion, carrots, celery, broth, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, and oregano in a medium slow-cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3.
- After the time is up, add the egg noodles and leftover shredded chicken to the pot. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes until chicken is heated and noodles are done.
- Meanwhile, set the broiler to high and arrange the crackers on a small baking sheet.
- Spray each cracker with olive oil spray. Season with the garlic powder, oregano, and basil. Sprinkle the cheese over the top (about 1/2 tsp each cracker).
- Broil for 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve the crackers along side the soup.