Blueberry Lemon Overnight Oats with a Toasted Tropical Topping
If you thought you’ve seen it all for this classic combination we all know and love, think again. Today, I’m here to share an easy recipe for Blueberry Lemon Overnight Oats. For those of you that don’t know, overnight oats are a creamy, delicious, shortcut breakfast that’s easier on digestion, and packed with flavor. Let’s be real, there’s not always time to make a perfect scramble in the morning, let alone put on matching socks when you’re trying to rush out the door. This is why I love prepping a couple jars of overnight oats when I know I’m approaching a busy week ahead. It’s a lifesaver, and could be yours too.
If you’re questioning the extra effort of actually preparing the oats ahead of time, I like to sneak it in when I’m cooking dinner, already in the kitchen. I also know that boring breakfasts will put me in a sour mood for the rest of the day. So I don’t mind the extra 10 minutes of prepping to make sure that doesn’t happen. Something about having bright, fresh ingredients first thing in the morning leaves my mind at ease and my mood 100% better. Anyone else feel this way?
Another kicker with this recipe is the toasted coconut topping. Total tropical vibes, and the deep flavor offsets the lemon perfectly (which isn’t overpowering at all I might add). To save even more time, store-bought toasted coconut will do just the trick. Because once again, those rush out the door type of mornings happen more often than not.
A short disclaimer: these oats might make your mind wander somewhere tropical..
Don’t blame me, it happens to the best of us, I hope.. I don’t mind pretending like I’m laying on a beach somewhere and not staring out the rainy window some mornings, who doesn’t?
The next time you have a busy week, give these unexpected overnight oats a go! They’ll add a delightful flavor to your morning breakfast. Scroll on to find the full recipe and don’t forget tag me on social media if you make them.
Blueberry Lemon Overnight Oats with Toasted Coconut
- 1/2 cup oats gluten free, if desired
- 1/2 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt (I use Siggi's)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juiced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- splash of almond milk
- drizzle of honey
- In a glass mason jar or sealed container, combine all of the ingredients through salt and mix thoroughly.
- Let sit in the fridge overnight (at minimum).
- Once the oats have sat overnight, take them out of the fridge the next morning and pour in to a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a small pan over medium heat and add the coconut flakes.
- Toast until golden and fragrant (2-3 minutes). Stir occasionally (they will burn easily if left too long!) Save any leftover coconut in an airtight container.
- Top the oats with blueberries, toasted coconut, an extra splash of almond milk, and a drizzle of honey (if you'd like).